Have you ever set a goal for yourself and never followed through with it? The answer would be ‘yes’ for a lot of people. In fact, this is one of the most common issues that clients come to me with.
Some people have a tendency to dream big, decide on some goals and then put it ‘on the back burner.’ And the majority refers to it as procrastination. There are so many different excuses that people come up with to not take action.
The most common excuses are:
- “This is not a good/right time because…”
- “I don’t have enough time for this…”
- “I can do this tomorrow…”
- “I will do this after I finish my project…”
- “It’s too difficult…”
- “I don’t take what it takes…”
- “It will cost a lot…” or “I don’t have the resources for this…”
- “I am too tired…”
- “It’s not a priority now…”
In reality, what most people are dealing with is fear. It can be fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of criticism… I love working with people on this, as I have personally experienced all of them in my past.
Let’s go back to the original question of how to make your goals a priority. There are several steps that you can do.
- Understand that the excuses you are feeding yourself, the reasons why you can’t or shouldn’t work on your goal now, are complete BS. Become aware that you are dealing with fear. Figure out which one from the list above. Awareness is very curative by nature.
- Then, become completely clear about why you want to accomplish this goal. How are you going to benefit by achieving this goal? Who else might benefit from it? List all possible reasons why, all possible benefits, and people who will benefit from you achieving this goal. It will give you clarity on why it is important to go through with this goal. Or maybe you will realize that it doesn’t make sense to have it as a goal at all, that it doesn’t benefit you or anyone else all that much. You will get clarity no matter what.
- Start brainstorming regarding what needs to happen in order for you to accomplish this goal. Break this goal down into small action steps. A lot of times people are procrastinating because they are overwhelmed with the project. Project on its own seems too big to implement. But once you break it down, action steps will be much more achievable and you will not be overwhelmed anymore.
- Prioritize your tasks in the order of importance, and set an approximate due date for each.
- Plan it! You need to actually plan when you are going to do each task, date and time included. “If you talk about – it’s a dream. If you envision it – it’s possible. But if you schedule it – it’s real.” Tony Robbins. And think in advance of anything that might interfere with your planned activities, and be proactive.
And this is it, folks. This is all you need, for the most part, to make your goals a priority. Remember that dreams don’t work, unless you do. But it’s totally worth it to make your dreams a reality!
If you need help with achieving your goals and making your dreams a reality, schedule your FREE Clarity Session below.
Till next time,
Love and Take Care of Yourself! Because You are Absolutely Worth It!